Flooding: A Powerful Reiki Tool
When your intention is not so much to heal but to bring peace, flooding is the perfect thing to do. As is obvious from the name, flooding engulfs the whole person, room and situation with Reiki, bringing quick energetic balance and a resulting resolution. This may look like ‘just imagination’, but it is way more powerful than that. Try and discover it for yourself.
How to do it
- Imagine a huge beam of cosmic light entering from the top of your head and filling up your whole body.
- Once your body is filled with this light, every cell overflows with this energy, flooding the whole room, or a specific person in front of you, with energy.
- I like to chant ‘Be Happy’ in my mind repeatedly when I’m flooding someone, I believe it heals the relationship faster.
The principle behind the technique
Everyone is the best version of who they can be. When you look back at your own life, you’ll find that you hurt people when you had nothing to give to them except pain. It is only those who have received pain all their lives, that give pain to others. When someone hurts you, it is never personal. We are just victims of victims. [Ahimsa, Non-violent Thoughts is an article that throws more light on this subject.]
When one person causes us pain, we cause pain to two others, and continue or worse, multiply the pain in the world. It is important to remember that if someone was happy, they wouldn’t be hurting you. That is why ‘be happy’ is such a powerful message to pass on subconsciously to these people.
If you’ve ever dreamed of living in a loving, peaceful world and are willing to actively work towards bringing in more peace and love, the buck has to stop with you. Not by suppressing your feelings, but by transcending them. For that, this technique is perfect .
When to use it
There are many instances where flooding is very useful.
- If you are a sensitive person and are having to visit a place where you ‘pick up negative energy’, flood the entire space or all the people present. This is very useful if you are in a crowd or a hospital.
- When with a person who is angry, frustrated, refusing to see sense, or just plain rambling. Flooding calms them down quite quickly and they often change the topic by themselves.
- If someone does not like you at all and is creating problems for you, flood them not only when they’re around, but you can also go home, imagine them standing in front of you and flood them. Relationships heal quite quickly this way.
- When you are witnessing a fight/ argument.
- When you are in the presence of a sick person and their illness is causing you pain. It is important to flush out your pain before you heal them, otherwise you will only end up exchanging pain for pain instead of healing energy. Flooding before you begin, until you feel settled and calm, is a great idea and will improve the effect of the healing.
Remember that it is your own negativity that is being flushed out first, only after that are you flooding others with love and light. When we find ourselves in a difficult situation, we generate negative thoughts. We can never pick up negativity from anyone else – we can only generate more negative thoughts when we’re around certain people, and these negative thoughts affect us. When we focus on flushing ourselves out, we let go of all these thoughts and the person we’re dealing with starts to reflect the calm inside ourselves.