The Third Eye Trap
Ayurveda describes the constitution of the body into three different types – vata, pitta and kapha, the air and ether, fire and water, and the earth and water element. When in balance, a person is healthy physically as well as mentally. When out of balance, it can lead to a spate of problems.
Today’s lifestyle brings about a staggering increase of the vata dosha – the air element. Vata indicates movement, dryness, and this is aggravated by over-stimulation. Several common activities like eating junk food, watching television, surfing the internet, exercising and traveling increase the vata imbalance in the body.
Too much vata makes a person airy, un-grounded, and less in touch with physical reality. These people ‘live in the head’. And a part of this whole experience is an partially open third eye. When the third eye opens as a result of deep spiritual practice, the lower chakras are stable and strong, and an open third eye destroys all illusion. It can only open partially when it is a result of increased vata, and one starts living in ‘another’ world, because the physical one becomes increasingly hard to cope with.
How do we know the difference?
Is a blind person more spiritual than one who can see? The third ‘eye’ is nothing but extra, or enhanced perception. A partially open third eye gives us access to other dimensions, but just because others cannot see them, does not make them any more real than what they can see. To think of other dimensions as real would be the same as a blind person who can suddenly see, thinking that he has more access to reality than the other blind people. It is convenient to have access to all this information, of course. Just like it is convenient to have eyes. But it has nothing to do with spirituality.
Here are a few typical problems that a partially open third eye brings.
- ‘That’ is better than ‘this’. Whether it is the past or the future that you see, if it seems better than the present moment, and you prefer to be lost in daydreaming about those moments than fully immersing yourself in the present, you have a problem. Ditto if you communicate with angels and are more attached to them than human beings.
- It may bring along with it migraines, sinusitis, and other head related problems.
- It is very easy to pick up other people’s negative energies. You stay away from crowds, and find it hard to tolerate negative people.
- It is hard to do things you do not like doing. A completely open third eye helps one transcend the games of the mind – one goes beyond craving and aversion.
- You are highly opinionated.
How do we fix this?
A plant with lots of leaves, flowers and fruits is bound to die very soon if it’s roots are too weak. Similarly, many people with a partially open third eye tend to have frequent health problems, however minor.
Grounding is very important – spend time in nature, do some gardening, get massages, and connect with the earth more deeply. Eating root vegetables and doing s-l-o-w yoga also helps, as do weekly nourishing baths.
Day-dreaming is a complete no-no, replace any thoughts about the past, future or other dimensions, by immediate attention to the physical reality – what is the sensation in your feet and legs, right now?
If you practice Reiki, or any chakra related system, increase your focus on the lower chakras. Every time you are free and able to heal, energize the root, Hara and solar plexus. Among healing systems, I have found Ilahinoor to be the most grounding.